Saturday, January 24, 2015

Observations about Alabama

After living in SoCal, NorCal, and Brazil, and after having traveled around North America, South America, Europe, and Asia, my husband and I have settled in the Deep South.  Even though it's in the USA, I've had my fair share of culture shock...

I know I'm supposed to be on a blogging break, but I thought I'd pop on here to share a few things I've noticed about living in Alabama.


I don't know if it's a "Southern" thing or just an Alabama thing, but monograms are EVERYWHERE.  Seriously everywhere.  I've seen things monogrammed that I didn't know could even be monogrammed!  Earrings, necklaces, shirts, sweaters, purses, cars - you name it, it will be monogrammed!  I'm not just talking about one initial.  Or your three initials lined up next to each other.  Monograms here are serious business.  They are fancy, difficult to read, and very very personal.




I may have mentioned this before, but the number of people that smoke is beyond my comprehension.  It's crazy.  Also the number of obese people is a little bit out of control.



Will I ever get used to the accents???  I can't understand what people are saying!!!  And I'm ashamed to admit I've unfairly judged people based on their accents...




I always grew up saying "please" and "thank you," but now I feel so self conscious for not saying "sir" and "m'am" all the time.  I never remember to say it until it's too late, and then I feel like a horribly rude person for not having said it.



OMG STOP CALLING ME "SWEETIE!!!"


Linking up with Travel Tuesday!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading. I'd love to know what you think. Please leave a comment!

Follow